Wednesday, July 14, 2010

the learning process never ends in India...

The last few days have been quite the learning experience. I got food poisoning for the third time on Monday. It got 5 of us this time. I'm sure that the 5 of us got it from the village stay. Luckily, I didn't get it as bad as some of the others. I am feeling fine now. But I am refusing to eat anything but PB&J. I just have enough of throwing up.. Who would have guessed I would throw up 6 times in 5 weeks. I'm sure in a few days I will be back on curry 24/7. But my body could use a break for a few days.

While I was Orissa I had the brilliant idea of booking a trip to Malaysia to see one of my friends from NYC. I thought it would be perfect see a good friend and celebrate turning 28 in Malaysia. Well to make a long story short. The country of India did not like the idea of me trying to leave the country before my final departure date in August. So, they are holding me hostage in this lovely country. Even though I have a multiple entry visa and paid to have multiple entries and exits. India does not work like that. They passed a new law in January that once you leave the country you cannot return for 2 months. But under certain circumstances you can get one off exceptions. So being the over zealous girl that I am I figured I could work the system. So Monday afternoon while having a temperature of 100 degrees I went to three different Police Commissioner offices and tried to get the necessary approvals. I made circles around the metropolis of Hyderabad. At the third office I was told I needed to pay 1500 rupees, have a proof of address, and 6 photos of myself and then they would sign the paper. So I left the office perplexed on how I was going to get this accomplished. My eyes were getting a little red at this point and so a nice black guy not brown but black stopped and asked if he could help me. So I let him help me and we started working the black market of getting me all the necessary documents. After I had everything I needed I went back to the police office and was told by the head super intendent that I didn't need any of the documents and that all I needed to do was go to the Indian embassy in Malaysia and they would approve it.. but there was a slight clause once returning back to India I had to come back and meet with him and fill out additional paperwork or I couldn't leave the country again in August. After hearing all of this. I realized it wasn't worth all the hassle and that I should just cancel the flight and cut my losses. I was sad that India had yet won again but I am done fighting with India. I am just going to let them be victorious on my expense. So today I convinced one of the volunteers to go on a weekend adventure to GOA with me for my birthday. Its the top vacation state in the country. Its the smallest state but its supposed to be gorgeous. I had to do something to make up for all the sickness and wrath that I went through on Monday. So on Friday Grace and I leave for GOA. I can't wait. Its going to be 4 days of beach, tours, and a boat cruise. I am excited and can't wait to just relax and not have to worry about auto drivers and beggars for a few days.

1 comment:

china economics said...