Thursday, July 01, 2010

what i would give for bottle of bleach...

Driving around on motorcycles and visiting different villages in the area has been so amazing. I have seen all levels of poverty and sickness. My favorite translation from my field officer is that the people use sticks to brush their teeth. I just don't know what that means. How would a stick do anything? I really want to see these sticks. I saw a new born baby in one of the villages yesterday. She was 3 days old and the mom had her laying on the dirt. I am so impressed that more people are not sick. But I guess if your body isn't use to sanitation then you can survive any condition. This leads me to our living conditions at the compound. Since 5 of us Americans are use to sanitation all of our bodies are doing crazy things. I swear if we had a bottle of bleach we could suppress the sickness. If we could just bleach the vegetables and plates the cooks are using it would help save us from getting sick. But since we are in complete isolation we have no access to bleach. At least one of us gets sick each day. It just shows how important sanitation is. I have caught myself dreaming of food the last few nights. I must be so deficient in protein and vitamins my mind is starting to do crazy things. 7 more days in this crazy place then back to civilization. We have already planned our first meal when we get back to Hyderabad. Were going to Hard Rock.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Just think of all the immunities you are building up in your system. You will never be sick again when you get back to the US. :) Hang in there